Written by: Saqib Wazir 》
When you
cannot describe something by itself, then comes a simile to play a part. Apart
from describing something by comparing that thing with another, they tend to be
powerful and emphatic, both in speech and writing, making a strong impression
on a reader. Such powerful, strong and emphatic similes are called striking similes.
I have
collected half a dozen of such striking similes and used them in passages, written
by me. Go on and read the similes along with the passages.
1. A memory
like a well-ordered cupboard
On my one question, he narrated his story from alpha to omega apart from a few breaks of coughing to clean his throat. He had, I venture say, a memory like a well-ordered cupboard.
2. Against a sky as clear as sapphire
A child in
rag, with disheveled hair and a cute dirty face, stood before the river against
a sky as clear as sapphire, to finish his life.
3. Agitated like a storm-tossed ship
It could not be a petty affair for him to put up with, we thought. Not at least for a man like him. Sure enough, he was worked up, a blind rage swept over him, and extremely agitated like a storm-tossed ship, to hear that all of his estate had been bulldozed in the dead of night.
4. A sudden sense of fear ran through his nerves like the chill of an icy wind
He heard the voice twice over. A sudden sense of fear ran through his nerves like the chill of an icy wind. This time, however, the whispering voice transformed into a full-scale yelling.
5. And many a
fountain, rivulet, and pond, as clear as elemental diamond, or serene morning
air
I had once gone to yon valley, dived in its beauty, and depicted it in my verses, now half-forgotten even by me, the poet. My car turned the corner and saw nothing where once stood a tree. I also came upon a fountain, which had once been, like many of the region other fountains, rivulets, and ponds, as clear as elemental diamond, or serene morning air. Now, but it was alas full of dirt and garbage and blood of brutally killed innocent animals.
6. As beautiful as the purple flush of dawn
Many have blotted heaps of paper with countless drops of ink to sketch the beauty of the homeland. They have but displayed by this that they have fallen short of it. Sorry, I think I am one of them, for I have no words to put to describe the beauty, apart from a single simile: My homeland is as beautiful as the purple flush of dawn.
Thank you for reading to the end. I hope you will have enjoyed this article. Which simile is you favorite and which passage do you think can be transformed into a full-blown story? Put your answers to these questions in the comments section bellow.
Saqib Wazir is a matric student, who aspires to become a fiction writer.

Comments
Post a Comment